Please read ALL the instructions carefully
Do not disassemble your Universal Charge
disassembly will void any warranty.
Except where noted, these instructions apply
to both Models "C/CS" and "D/DS".
- Insert plastic dowel pins and set-screws
into ends of Bar Body.
The set screws and dowels must be inserted
in proper sequence,
as shown above.
If a plastic dowel is lost, No 7 1/2 shot
pellets can be used to substitute.
The purpose of the set screw is to lock
its corresponding adjustable knob in place. The set screw
should not be over tightened. Likewise, the purpose of the
plastic dowel is both to protect the mechanism and to aid
in controling locking pressure.
- Select and insert Mushroom Shaped Insert
- decide whether your are using a plastic
insert or a metal insert
The metal inserts are recommended for lead shot;
the plastic inserts are recommended for steel shot.
- start with hand pressure
One side of the insert is flat; the other side of the
insert has a cut out that is shaped like the insert itself.
The flat side of the insert is its outer surface; the
cut out side of the insert should not be seen when the
insert is properly installed.
- Place the Universal Charge Bar on a
flat and hard surface
(steel is best) so that the insert will be touching that
when it is flush with the surface of the bar.
(The goal is to have the insert level
with the flat top surface of the shot valve.)
For the metal insert, if it still sticks
out in a way that interferes with the movement of the
bar, remove excess material with a file
see Removing the Shot Valve mushroom
- for Model "D/DS":
- Remove the standard charge bar and the
original cam that came with your progressive MEC reloading
- bolt the cam-bracket that comes with the
Model "D/DS" Universal Charge Bar onto the Bar
as shown below:
( * Parts with an asterisk
come only with Model "D/DS")
- make sure that the hole for the philister
head screw is facing forward
- slide the Universal Charge Bar from the right
hand side into your shotshell
Use the Philister head screw that comes with the Universal
Charge Bars. The smaller head diameter of our Philister head
screw allows the bar to travel further.
- When the Bar is in position, turn the philister
head screw all the way in
and push the Bar all the way to the left.
If your MEC shotshell reloader has a
it may be difficult to tighten the Philister head screw.
To use a longer Philister head screw
(not available from us)
may be helpful.
The 'Pro-check' is more to help beginners
powder and shot spillage.
Those who have familiarized themselves
MEC machines might remove the 'Pro-check'
(at their own risk).
- for Model "D/DS":
- Install the roller-cam in place of the
- hook it up with the pull-rod
- use the same fasteners that secured the
old cam to machine.
See Figure below
A small adjustable wrench (preferably) or a pair of pliers
is all that is needed.
- Mount spring retainer screw on left rear
of Bar and connect it with original spring
- Make sure that the bar will travel the
entire distance possible.
If necessary, adjust nut at bottom of pull-rod
- For the 'Hook' to hold and release the
Model "D/DS" in proper sequence, make certain
that the shot drop-tube pushes the wad with the correct
INSTALLING the POWDER BAFFLE
(requires the BRASS WASHER)
The Brass washer serves as a Powder Seal only.
It is meant to slide along the surface of the Universal Charge
Bar in such a way that it passes over the powder valve opening
and helps minimize powder leakage.
The following assumes that you have already
installed the Universal Charge Bar in a MEC RELOADING MACHINE.
- Remove Rubber-grommet from Powder-opening
- place Brass washer on top of the Bar, with
the sharp flat side touching the bar.
- Put back the Rubber-grommet.
- Screw Powder Baffle all the way in.
- Screw Powder bottle onto Powder Baffle.